These awards, generously funded by the ITF Seafarers' Trust, recognise excellence in the provision of welfare services, acknowledging shipping companies, welfare organisations, ports and individuals - on ship, as well as ashore. They showcase good practice within the industry, and highlight the commitment and dedication shown in the service to seafarers.
With nominations now open, seafarers are encouraged to recognise those that have shown them exceptional service this year. Seafarers are urged to nominate for the award categories: Seafarers' Centre of the Year; Shipping Company of the Year; Port of the Year; and The Dr Dierk Lindemann Welfare Personality of the Year. The latter can also be self-nominated, or nominated by anyone in the maritime welfare field.
The winners of the 2015 International Seafarers' Welfare Awards were:
- Shipping Company of the Year: Eidesvik
- Port of the Year: Port of Halifax (NS Canada)
- Seafarer Centre of the Year: Bremerhaven Seafarer Centre and Seamen's Club Welcome
- The Dr Dierk Lindemann Welfare Personality of the Year (Individual): Chirag Bahri- MPHRP India
- The Dr Dierk Lindemann Welfare Personality of the Year (Organisation): NUSI (National Union of Seafarers of India)
- Judges' Special Award: Reverend Ken Peters
- Judges' Posthumous Award: Paul Karras, Founder of Hunterlink Recovery Services
Roger Harris, Executive Director, International Seafarers' Welfare and Assistance Network said "We rely on seafarers to bring us almost everything we need. They often have to spend long periods away from loved ones without many of the home comforts we take for granted. These awards recognise those individuals, companies, organisations and ports that prioritise the welfare of seafarers. They give seafarers the chance to say thank you to those who have gone to considerable lengths to improve their lives on board and ashore all over the world."
The awards are organised by the International Seafarers' Welfare and Assistance Network (ISWAN), and supported by the International Chamber of Shipping, International Transport Workers' Federation, and International Christian Maritime Association.
The awards are generously funded by a grant from the ITF Seafarers' Trust.
Sponsors of the awards include Wrist Ship Supply (Seafarers' Centre of the Year Award) and the International Chamber of Shipping (Dr Dierk Lindemann Welfare Personality of the Year Award). Crewtoo is the media sponsor.
Nominations close on 8th February 2016.